Thursday, July 09, 2009

Meet you soon, PNG, but I will miss China

Below poem was published by The National on Friday July 10, 2009 on http://www.thenational.com.pg/071009/wkender15.php . Hope you enjoy
................

Meet you soon, PNG, but I will miss China

They asked where I come from
I proudly said, “Papua New Guinea”
That’s my home, my blood and my Mother Land
I left home for lands far away for a better education
To face the challenges of today
From China I see PNG floating on the Ocean
I miss that land, the land where my mother conceived me
But the time is nearing for me to meet my beloved country
In my dreams I am already there, in my heart, PNG is already in
I am happy to meet those old friends and the loved ones
I am happy to meet my father and siblings
Whom I missed for far too long
But there is one special person I will not see
Instead I will see her empty chair
She is my dearest mother,
Who conceived me, fed me, clothed me and named me Mathew.
She made sure I was fed before going to bed
She made sure I was going to school
Mum was my hero - but her chair is empty today
I will place a rose on her cemetery and whisper,
“Mum, Mathew loves you”.
Yes, I am excited I will finally go home
Yet I am sad, I will miss my host country - China
But the moon keeps reminding me
There is no place like home where the heart is
And yet, there is no great place like China
Yesterday I missed PNG, but tomorrow I will miss China
And today I miss my dearest late Mum
Yet, China and PNG keep taking special place in my heart


By Mathew Yakai
China

No comments: